Today I realized I'd better get to memorizing my final poem for English if I don't want to end the year in total embarrassment. So I went through the class anthology and reread all the poems from this year, a beautiful experience in itself. I came to one that I never gave much attention to -- "The Waking" by Theodore Roethke. There's one line that he repeats, "I learn by going where I have to go" which is exactly how I feel about this time in my life.
I guess we all learn by going where we have to go. No one really knows what they are capable of doing until after they've found the courage to do it, and it's the things we do that change our lives. I didn't know I could live away from home until I went to camp. I didn't know I could make my way through high school until I looked back on how far I've come. I didn't know I was so ready to live on my own until I went to Wash U. I didn't know I was capable of climbing the high ropes course at school until I was standing there at the top. I didn't know it was possible to feel someone else's experiences as deeply as my own, until I found that kind of connection.I've learned so much by going, and I've reached to a great place in my life. But I still have things to learn as I go off on my own. Last week, someone stole my phone at school. I turned my back on it for no more than a couple minutes in the courtyard and now it's gone. I guess that's another case of learning by going where you have to go -- learning a lesson the hard way. I guess this was a case of me being too trusting. But again I learn by going -- taking a detour to somewhere I didn't want to end up, but now I know how to avoid it.
Anyway, tomorrow is my LAST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL!!!!! In 7 hours and 4 minutes (but who's counting?) I will be an unofficial DHS graduate! I'm sure plenty of tears will come later, but right now I'm riding a wave of euphoria. Class of 2011, we made it!
Stay classy.
Rachel
Monday, May 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment