Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Welcome back

To anyone who’s either putting off homework or bored enough to be reading this- welcome to my blog. (Deja vu. I tried to start a blog before, but I was so busy that it wasn’t creative at all, and my 54 profile views were all from me lol)

So I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about myself in terms of college essays. I thought I’d start by explaining the title of my blog- Chasing Cars. I know it’s an amazing romantic song, but it’s the story behind it that gets me. Apparently the singer of Snow Patrol was trying to get a girl’s attention and his father said to him, “You’re like a dog chasing a car, you’ll never catch it and even if you did, you wouldn’t know what to do with it”. Now that is an incredibly cynical thing to say about love, but I’ll come back to that some other time.

What I’m getting at is that those words have an impact on me. I’m a writer and a thinker, and those are my most important and unexplainable traits. I can never explain why I feel so alive when I discover the emotion in a poem, or when I think about some philosophical thought, or when I learn about anything of meaning. This is why I watch movies and listen to songs that I know will make me cry, because they take me to another place. Basically, I’m searching for meaning in my life. I’m not content just walking through the motions of my life, I want to know about them. I want to feel everything. I want to reach those moments of total clarity. I’m trying to find this meaning by studying English/history/philosophy/a little bit of everything when I get to college, no matter what people say about its uselessness. So I guess you can say my search is like chasing cars. Maybe I won’t know what to do when I finally get there, but I won’t stop trying.

I think I’ll call it a night. Sweet dreams everyone.
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rilke said to "learn to love the questions, and perhaps one day you will live your way into the answers." you're not chasing cars. you're living a conscious and authentic life. love your post......

    ReplyDelete